You know the drill. IT has implemented another security policy that requires you to change your password every 90 days. The password must be complex, 12 or more characters and contain upper and lower case letters, at least one number and a symbol, a character like !@#$%&*. Your password needs to be something like this, fU&s43jm#@l0, to be valid. You are also not allowed to resuse a password you have used in the past year. Will you remember it? Hopefully. Will you mistype it, almost certainly. What will you do if you can’t remember it? Call the Help Desk and have them reset your password. It stresses you out, doesn’t it?
What if you could easily reset your password, right from your mobile phone without having to call the Help Desk? You can! An innovative company named Passportal from Alberta, Canada has what may be the easiest and best solution to the password reset problem. Their solution is available through partner like Internet & Telephone, LLC and can make the password management problem go away for you and all the computers users in your company.
Here’s how it works:
- You get the dreaded message that your password has expired and you need to set a new one.
- You create your new password; ih0p3!r3m3mber@.
- You return to the login screen and type it in, but it says it’s invalid. DejaVu sets in and your blood pressure begins to rise.
- In the old days, you would call the Help Desk and ask them to reset your password for you. You wait for the friendly and empathetic technician to login to your network, open your users account and reset your password. Back to work you go.
- Instead of #4, what if this happened:
- You pick up your mobile phone and text a keyword to a pre-defined number you have saved as a contact.
- You immediately get a reply letting you know your password is about to be reset.
- Within 60 seconds, you receive another text with a new password. Something like: 8Fx%$Gsjh3*7.
- You return to your login prompt and enter 8Fx%$Gsjh3*7 as your password.
- You are asked to set a new password that you will remember this time, right?
That’s how easy it could be to reset your password if you forget it, lock out your account or let it expire and mistype your new password.
This is also how easy it is to make password changes and resets less hassle for your users and less timely to complete. The user has complete control and the ability to instantly help themselves through this efficient self service password reset system.
If you’re not using self service password reset now, you should be. Your users will thank you. So will your Help Desk team.